Monday, June 24, 2013

Deer Fly Season is Underway

Tis the season. Didn't mention it in the last post but I did experience a few deer flies but they weren't bad at all. Not the case today, they were wicked bad.

This makes running on the roads easier to swallow, as they are only really bad on trails and dirt roads that are less traveled. The latter was the case today; it was a road route but there's a dirt road section for a little over a mile that cuts through some woods. This is one of the worst areas for them along the routes in my area so it was a good test to see how active they were. I found the answer: very active.

Very hot and humid out which was why they were so many. But I tolerated the weather pretty well and felt great. Not too much rust either, which was good. Didn't run the past several days because I was up north fly fishing. While it was too bad I couldn't run, I did absolutely SLAM the trout and salmon. I landed so many that I lost count. Very epic to see a huge brookie or salmon rise from the depths and hit your dry fly.

Leaning towards not running the Falmouth Flash 5 Mile Trail race this weekend, just because I'm not in the shape I want to be in yet and need a few more weeks. However, it's of course going to be a stellar event and I plan on volunteering. Check it out if you can. I guarantee it'll be a very fun time.

Ran 5.6 miles @ 7:39/mile pace.
Paved and dirt roads.
Very hilly.
Deer flies killed: 8.
Lower 80s, sunny, humid.
Saucony Virrata, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

No comments: