Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Back and the Woods Out Back

Begrudgingly took a rest day yesterday after my lower back stiffened up big time. Came right home after work and laid on a heating pad on the floor with some occasional stretching, then at night I crawled out of bed (too soft for my current state) and slept the second half of the night downstairs back on the heating pad.

The good news is it worked pretty well and there was significant improvement today. It was feeling off a few weeks ago and I'm not sure if the snowshoeing, shoveling or something else triggered the attack, but whatever, I'm on the mend. Just a wake-up call to get back on my core strengthening program.

Regardless, felt okay to risk a snowshoe run today. No problems. Felt great in fact. It was some work re-packing down the trail I blazed that goes to the fire road, thanks to about 4"-5" of fresh powder last night. Still, not as hard as I thought it would be, but still a great workout. Great weather to boot. Just below the freezing mark, sunny and no wind. Beautiful out.

Reached the fire road about a mile and a half later and was pleasantly surprised to see fresh snowmobile tracks again. Ran an out and back for a couple of miles and then took my own trail back home. Great run. I'd estimate it to be a road run equivalent of about 10.4 miles. I really should get a new battery for my heart rate strap, will make it much easier to calculate such things.

Snowshoe Ran 5.3 miles @ 14:28/mile pace.
Trails, packed and partially packed with loose, powdery snow.
Very hilly.
Lower 30s to upper 20s, sunny.
Dion 121 snowshoes, New Balance MT1010, long tights, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: