Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Beaver Hill Repeats

The last two days were off. One was intentional, one was not, due to a longer than expected work day. With some better planning, that additional day off could have easily been avoided. Lesson relearned.

So, I sought to do some make-up work today on Beaver Hill in the form of repeats. The section was not particularly long, around .15 miles, give or take a hundredth. But it's steep, climbing around 70 feet. If I had ran yesterday, I might have opted for 6-8 repeats today but given the two days off I decided to do ten. Active recovery in the form of jogging back down the hill and with a two minute break after five reps.

I didn't take split times, as I often don't during hill repeats. I don't know why that is. It doesn't make sense. Maybe I should next time? Only logical.

Regardless, it went quite well. The final quarter stretch for each rep produced a nice, anaerobic lactic acid burn. I mused that was ideal.. you want to feel the burn for a good stretch but not too long. Some good hay in the barn.

w/u: Ran 1.8 miles @ 8:06/mile pace.
10 X Hill Repeats: 3.1 miles @ 8:52/mile pace.
c/d: Ran 1.8 miles @ 8:52/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly for w/u, c/d.
Around 40 degrees, overcast.
Saucony Virrata, shorts, windbreaker (w/u), long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, buff (w/u, c/d), gloves (w/u, c/d).

No comments: