Wednesday, January 08, 2014

'Choos, Shoes and Shrews

Raced home after work to take advantage of the daylight. Changed clothes, grabbed the snowshoes and then walked to the trail. Then I walked on the trail. Whoa. Super packed down and icy. Promptly headed back inside and exchanged the 'choos for Yaktrax Pros over my trail shoes and ran on.

Still did the intended route. I ran first on my snowshoe connector trail and postholed a bit, but after a little less than a mile I was back on the snowmobile trails and trekked along. Went well. Lots of deer tracks. Lots.

My legs did feel pretty tired. I think last week is catching up to me a bit. Not surprising. I think the overkill with double layering with a thin pair of long tights and warm-up pants was also somewhat constrictive and didn't help much.

That concluded run number one.

Ran 7.3 miles @ 9:57/mile pace.
Trails with well packed icy snow, except for one softer snowshoe trail (8/10 mile).
Very hilly.
Upper teens, sunny.
New Balance MT1010 w/ Yaktrax Pro, warm-up pants, long tights, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

Run number two was with Kate and happened about an hour and a half later. She had asked me earlier in the day if I would run with her since it would be dark and she wanted company, and it worked out well for both of us as I was happy to get in some bonus mileage and run with Kate.

Kate's headlamp died shortly into the run, but with the half moon and it being white snow we were running on, one headlamp was plenty.

We took the snowmobile trail to the salmon pool and back. About a half a mile in we both squealed with delight at the spotting of a shrew on the trail. We failed to tame it, as it panicked a bit under the light of the headlamp before disappearing into its hole in the snow. That was cool.

Ran 2.4 miles @ 12:36/mile pace.
Trails with well packed icy snow.
Mostly flat.
Mid teens, clear skies.
New Balance MT1010 w/ Yaktrax Pro, warm-up pants, long tights, fleece pullover, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves, reflective vest.

No comments: