Monday, March 10, 2014

Bradbury Whiteout Snowshoe Race Report

A bittersweet end to snowshoe racing with yesterday's race. Warmer temps, trail running (on mud and dirt) and fly fishing are just around the corner, and I'm really looking forward to those things, but... I've had so much fun this season, so despite it being a pretty harsh winter here, a huge part of me did now want it to end.

A big thanks to Ryan and Ian for all of their hard work with the Bradbury Snowshoe series. And a big thanks to Mindy and Val who were there volunteering in the freezing cold each race as well. It was a blast.

On to the race...

This report will be brief, but overall I did pretty well. I had been pretty run down with being sick leading up to the race, but fortunately I pulled it together.

The course was fast and icy, though crazy hilly to boot. Really icy on some parts, which warranted much caution. I kept myself in the mix as much as I could, running with Jennifer and Chuck for good licks but they both pulled away and I didn't have enough in me to try and keep up.

Still, I came in 7th place overall, about as well as I could have hoped. Honestly, I don't think being sick really hurt me too much as far as placing goes. I muse I probably would have been at about the same spot even if well.

Felt pretty weak once I crossed, but after I did my usually puking in the bushes I felt a little better.

Those of us that ran three races got really awesome trucker hats. And in the series standings for all three races, I'm proud to have gotten 4th place out of 21 for males amid some tough competition.

Refueling on Chipotle burritos afterwards was a very welcome treat.

w/u: Snowshoe ran .5 miles @ 8:20/mile pace.
Race: Snowshoe ran 5.0 miles @ 9:00/mile pace.
Placing: 7th out of 52
Series placing: 4th out of 21
Trails, packed snow and ice.
Extremely hilly.
Mid 30s, partly sunny.
Dion 121 snowshoes, New Balance MT1010, long tights, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt, beanie (shed halfway), gloves.

No comments: