Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Tale of Two Dogs

Jet and Kip. 
My good friends Ian and Emma are a bit busy with their newborn daughter, so I offered to take their super energetic, nuclear powered, turbocharged border collies, Kip and Jet, for a run this afternoon.

It was awesome, of course. While I know Kip and Jet are always super responsive around their owners when they run with us, I wasn't sure if they would extend the same courtesy to me while I was alone with them in the woods. They did and then some. They were simply awesome. Best running dogs ever.

My legs felt really dead, which warranted many stops and looks back from Kip and Jet as if to say, "Dude, you don't run as fast my masters". They were super patient, automatically waiting at trail junctions and then bolting ahead but always stopping or running back after a few dozen yards.

I really, really enjoyed it and it reinforced how much I can't wait to get my own dogs once we move. One will likely be a bird dog, but for the other one... a border collie would be pretty sweet.

Ran 5.4 miles @ 11:00/mile pace.
Trails.
Slightly hilly.
Around 70 degrees, partly cloudy, somewhat humid.
Saucony Peregrine 3, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Get a bird dog that is also an awesome running dog like a Visla or a German Shorthaired Pointer. I run with our GSP and she is a perfect running partner. It takes something significant to distract her from her job--running. She ignores people, deer, dogs.

Jamie Anderson said...

Love vislas! I was thinking more of a flushing breed though, like an English Spring Spaniel to also use for partridge.

R. Ian Parlin said...

Thanks again for taking them out!