Friday, May 30, 2014

A Tough Assignment

The antibiotics have left my system and I'm feeling great. I'm going to start ramping back up my activity, and kicked that off with a work-related mountain bike ride yesterday.

As a media instructor, I get asked for video help quite a bit. I'm not going to lie, the vast majority of the time it is aggravating and while I love to help other people out, I also want video projects to fall within the curriculum and also challenge students. Otherwise, I'd rather not waste my time nor my students' time, especially since others are expecting this work for free. I say No, sorry often and unfortunately, I have to be somewhat stern about it at times, which is not fun. I'll stop now before I go on a rant.

But once in a blue moon, a sweet proposal comes along that we'll jump on, and recently a very fun one plopped itself on my lap. Since it's the end of the school year, my seniors are understandably distracted since they have graduation on their brains, and my juniors are busy with end of the year projects. No worries, I gladly accepted this project myself.

The town's grant writer wanted me to mountain bike a 3-4 mile section of trail with a GoPro and time lapse it down to three minutes for a presentation he has later next month. Fun to film and very easy to edit, making it an ideal task.

It was a nice ride, and despite taking a few wrong turns the filming was otherwise a success. The highlight was perhaps running into a family of geese, complete with at least four fluffy little babies and their angry, honking parents at the end of the trail.

It was also a good litmus test for me to gauge how I was feeling. I've been pretty tired for much of this week, but feeling better each day and I felt great during the ride. Still monitoring things, but I suspect I'm in the clear.

Some screen grabs from the video:

Trees.

Open trail. 

Honking geese parents and their fluffy little children. 

Mountain biked 7.5 miles @ 9.3mph/avg.
Trails.
Mostly flat.
Upper 60s, partly cloudy.
Specialized P.2, Saucony Peregrine 3, shorts, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt.

1 comment:

Sparkplug said...

Glad you are feeling better! and love the little geese :-)