Monday, May 05, 2014

TRAFFICing

Trail Running And Fly Fishing In Combination = Trafficing. Clever, huh?

I packed my 3-weight rod and other fly fishing gear in my small lightweight, fastpacking backpack and ran to the salmon pool. This was a good test to see how it felt to run with the gear, and everything felt snug and comfortable.

Unfortunately, the salmon pool is still being invaded by spawning suckers. They should be clearing out within the next few weeks. I can only hope the salmon will move back in.

I continued on the loop with intent of fishing the boggy creek next. I noticed a few geese there the other day, right next to a spot where I got a strike the other week. They were still there, but upon closer observation I noticed it was actually a family, complete with a couple of older babies. I opted not to disturb them and continued on home.

I plan to develop a point system for TRAFFICing, where running mileage, fish size and species caught are factored in together for a score. I'll detail all of this within a week or two. It's fun, even if I'm the only one participating in this radical new sport.

Ran 3.6 miles @ 9:57/mile pace.
Fish caught: 0.
Trails.
Very hilly.
Around 60, partly cloudy.
Saucony Peregrine 3, shorts, long sleeved shirt, cap, TRAFFICing gear.

No comments: