Thursday, July 10, 2014

Lightning Bugs

The past several days have been quite busy with putting in new kitchen cabinets. I know very little about carpentry, so I've learned a lot through my father-in-law who's been leading the charge. It's been a lot of fun also, thanks to no real major hiccups. In a way, it's also been great cross training and we should be done today.

But with two days off from running in a row due in large part to the remodeling, I couldn't stomach taking a third. So, at the tail end of dusk last night, I headed out into the woods. My headlamp, an almost full moon and hundreds of lightning bugs lit the way. The nighttime ambience was great; very quiet and peaceful, with a sense of adventure that the darkness brings to spice things up.

Other benefits were zero deer flies and cooler temps. I'll trade the lightning bugs for deer flies any day, and while the pace is slower at night, especially on technical trails, the trade-off is worth it. I will definitely remember this, especially on those warmer days.

Ran 3.5 miles @ 10:34/mile pace.
Trails.
Very hilly.
Upper 60s, partly cloudy, night.
Inov-8 Roclite 243, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

No comments: